The rule of thirds is a technique used in photo composition to create more tension, energy and interest. You see it all the time in advertisements. Here are some more examples on Presentationzen.com.
The default templates in powerpoint of course, don't follow this rule. The picture above shows an alternative.
Picture and Source: Blog.forret.com
- Presentations: Avoid writing slideumentation in powerpoint
- Free image resources for your presentations
- 5 Steps to Slide Design for Non-Designers
- Brain Rules, The presentationzen slides
- Using images to support your speech
- Is your presentation better without text?
- Compacting your presentations. Yes, you really can.
- Hacking your brain: how to be more productive
- Presentation skills: The 10/20/30 rule from Guy Kawasaki
- Looking at presentations
- Examples on giving a good presentation