This is awesome news. Nmap version 5.00 has been released. It is the first major release since 4.50 in 2007. Here is a more detailed overview of the changes.
To have a quick glance, here are the top 5 improvements in Nmap 5:
- The new Ncat tool. It will do data transfer, redirection, and debugging.
- Ndiff is a scan comparison tool. It will make it easy to automatically scan your network daily and report on any changes
- Nmap's 5.0 performance has improved dramatically.
- Nmap Network Scanning, the official Nmap guide to network discovery and security scanning.
- The Nmap Scripting Engine (NSE) . It allows users to write (and share) simple scripts to automate a wide variety of networking tasks. New scripts include a whole bunch of MSRPC/NetBIOS attacks, queries, and vulnerability probes; open proxy detection; whois and AS number lookup queries; brute force attack scripts against the SNMP and POP3 protocols; and many more.
(Photo under creative commons from libraryman's photostream)